Red rotary dial telephone from the 1960s/70s. Telephones were run as a public service and the General Post Office (GPO) became the monopoly supplier of telephones in 1912, from which people would rent the lines and the phones they had in their houses. The model pictured was a 700 series (possibly a 706F) made from bakelite plastic and available in 7 different colours. The label on the front shows that the number to dial for the emergency services is 999 and 100 for the operator. After rotary dial telephones came push-button models and Trimphones and then in the 1990s came the first mobile phones.