A 1947 cupro-nickel two-shilling coin. Also known as a florin or a two-bob bit. The coin features the head of King George VI (6th). King George VI is facing left with the Latin inscription “GEORGIVS VI D:G:BR:OMN:REX” which translates to George the Sixth, by the Grace of God, King of all the Britain’s.
On the reverse of the coin is a crowned Tudor rose with a Scottish thistle and an Irish shamrock on either side but the Welsh leek is missing. The Latin wording “FID DEF IND IMP” appears as it did on coins from 1893 to 1948. Translated this means “Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India”. This Latin inscription was removed from coins after 1948 as King George VI was no longer emperor of India after they gained independence. The remaining Latin is still used on British coins and those of some commonwealth countries.
History of the two-shilling coin:
The shilling was originally called a Testoon and was first introduced to the United Kingdom in 1502 by Henry VII. In the first instance the two-shilling coin was minted in silver but when silver became too expensive this was reduced to 75% copper and 25% nickel.
The two-shilling coin was in circulation from 1849 until 1967 and was worth one tenth of a pound or twenty-four old pence. Pounds, shillings & pence were replaced by new currency on 15th February 1971.